Shop Talk : Taking a Chill Pill

Hey guys. Today's Shop Talk is a quick little tidbit about a personal project I have been working on - taking a gosh darn chill pill. I've talked about it before, but I can tend to get pulled in 34,987 different directions if I let myself stray from my to-do lists, specific goals and focuses in my business. Starting a small business requires you to put a lot of work in (duh. obviously). For me, putting that work in is super fun, and I usually wake up excited and ready to jump into another day right away. Most days I start out with my to-do list, and slowly work my way through it, taking a break when needed and enjoying the process, stopping when I feel like I have done enough for the day. Some days, however, I find myself frantically trying to jump from one task to the next, trying to get everything done but in reality getting not-too-much accomplished. I start stressing about my larger goals, and focusing on all that I have not accomplished yet instead of what I have. Usually these days happen when I am off balance. When I haven't taken the time to let myself just "be" or to spend time with friends and family. I have found the only solution to be to resist the urge to frantically hack away at undone tasks like a madwoman, to walk away and to just take a frickin chill pill already.

For me, a chill pill means a walk down to the lake, people watching and breathing deeply. It means reading a book (not business related) on the back porch with a glass of wine. It means going for a run even if I don't feel like it and feeling the nervous energy drain out of me. It means a much needed girl talk with a friend. Afterwards I can return to work with a much clearer vision of where I'm at and what I need to get done. 

So I guess the point of my rambling (sorry) is that no matter what you do, make sure you take time for yourself, listen to your body and what its telling you and make taking a chill pill a priority. Then maybe you won't scare your husband with your crazy eyes as he gently suggests you walk away from the computer and take a nap. Just sayin' : )

(above photo is of one of my Kris Carr Crazy Sexy Love Notes card deck-thanks Mom!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

OldSchoolSwank © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger