How To : Sew A Throw Pillow Cover

I've been working on little home projects this week, mainly just trying to tie things together in each room so that they look finished. One project I had been planning for a while was to change up the throw pillows in our living room by sewing new covers for them. Our pillows are all blue at the moment, which with a blue couch and two blue chairs is, well, a lot of blue. 
I had found this great vintage fabric while thrifting a couple months ago that I knew I wanted to use somewhere in the house, and this seemed like the perfect project to make use of it with. I knew the basics of making the envelope-backed pillow cover, but wanted to make sure I did it right so I followed THIS tutorial. The whole process is fairly simple, but I figured I would share it with you in case it inspires you to do the same! It's such an easy way to change up a room quickly and add a pop of color. Read after the jump for step by step instructions.



1. First, gather what you'll need for the project:


2. Next, measure how much fabric you'll need for your cover. Using a ruler and your disappearing fabric pen, draw a rectangle on the fabric that is the pillow's height plus one inch, and the pillow's width multiplied by two, plus six inches. Cut out the rectangle.
(HINT: I find it to be easier to keep the fabric in place while cutting if you use a paperweight)





3. You'll end up with a long rectangle. Place the rectangle right side down on the table. To hem the left and right edges, fold them in 1/2", press them, fold them over again 1/2", press again and pin.



4. Next, edge stitch 1/8" away from the inner fold on each edge.



5. Place the rectangle wrong side down on the table, and fold over the left and right hemmed edges so that they overlap 4 inches. Pin along the top and bottom edges. Stitch closed using a 1/2" seam allowance. 


Flip the pillow case inside out, and use scissors to push the corners out. Insert your pillow into the case and you're done!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

OldSchoolSwank © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger