Shop Talk : Organizing Vintage Inventory Resources

I have a few goals for my business I would like to accomplish over the next couple months. And when I say a few, I mean the few I have made myself narrow down to out of the overwhelming 435,765 I have written down. OK, it may not be that many, but it certainly sometimes feels that way. I have found I do much better by focusing on one project at a time, instead of trying to accomplish a ton of things all at once. It helps me stay calm, be thorough and see measured success from each step. I figured as I worked on each goal I would share the resources with you I've found helpful, in case anyone is going down the same path or working on a similar project.

The first goal I'll be sharing with you for my business will be organizing. As some of you know, I run an online vintage shop out of my home, with around 1000 pieces and growing. This means that in addition to my already full house, I have all those pieces to organize and clean as well. Luckily, we are living in a fairly large space right now where I have room for an office and storage space, so it is totally doable. But if I don't stay on top of my system every day, or at the very least every few days, I am left with piles and piles of vintage with no home and a messy looking home space for my husband and I.

My mom is an expert organizer, and has been a huge help in streamlining my inventory and my office space. We have gotten it down to a pretty good system, but it still needs some major tweaks, which brings me to my resource list as of late:

Goal #1: Organize my inventory so my shop and home life run as smoothly as possible.

If you haven't heard the praises of this book sung by someone you know by now, I'm sure you will soon. I just ordered this book on Amazon to read on my beach vacation next week. 

2. Inventory Tracking by Design Sponge
This part will take me a little more time to figure out how to apply it to my business. As most vintage items are one of a kind, inventory management is a little different, but it will be good to get a start on brainstorming.

3. Closet Organizing Checklist by Real Simple
Meant for your home closet organization, but good tips for clothing inventory storage as well!

Again, meant for your home closet, but has some unique tips and visual inspiration. 

Pretty straightforward. If you are a visual person like me, seeing how other people organize things really gets me motivated. Search for "organization", "clothing" and "closet" to see how some super organized heroes have done it.

If you have any more you'd like to share with me, I would love to hear them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

OldSchoolSwank © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger